Posted by Rae Lynn on 6/11/2014 to Food
Make your Independence Day a little more special and memorable with some of these cute 4th of July food ideas and recipes. For cocktail bites or a backyard buffet, your guests will adore the small extra effort to make your event a lot more fun!
We've included 5 simple patriotic recipes:
Watermelon & Provolone Stars
- Watermelon & Provolone Stars
- Cherry Pepper Poppers
- Patriotic Berry Cups
- Star-Spangled Sausage Bites
- Red, White, & Blue Trifle Sparkler
- Just the right combination of sweet and smoky, these tasty fruit and cheese bites are perfect appetizers for a 4th of July celebration.
- This healthy, low-calorie option offers a pop of patriotic colors in a fun star shape that is great for guests of all ages.
- Don’t forget the American Flag food picks that will keep it all together in one clean bite.
Prep time 15 mins
Total time 15 mins
Yield: 10 servings
Yield: 10 servings
- 2 slices of watermelon
- 5 slices provolone cheese
- 20 blueberries
- 10 toothpicks
- 1 large star cookie cutter
- 1 small star cookie cutter
- Cut the watermelon into 1-inch thick cross-sectional slices and remove the rinds.
- Use large star cookie cutter to cut out watermelon stars.
- Set out sliced cheese, and use the small star cookie cutter to cut out stars.
- Place cheese stars on top of the larger watermelon stars, thread 2 blueberries onto each toothpick, and skewer the watermelon and cheese pieces together.
Cherry Pepper Poppers
- Also called pimento or Peppadew peppers.
- These savory veggie bites burst with fresh flavor offset by creamy herbed cheeses that will delight the most discerning palate while pleasing the rest of the crowd too.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh parsley and a patriotic food pick for an attractive and delicious hors d’oeuvre.
Cook time 10 mins
Total time 20 mins
Yield: 4 servings
Photo and modified from party-wagon.com
- 6-8 fresh cherry peppers
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 1/4 cup skim-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chives, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh parsely, or to taste
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Halve and seed cherry peppers lengthwise.
- Combine goat cheese and ricotta, then season with salt and pepper.
- Mound the mixture into pepper halves and arrange onto a baking sheet.
- Bake the stuffed peppers for 5-7 minutes, until the cheese begins to turn golden brown.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes, until cheese bubbles.
- Top with patriotic American Flag Picks from PartySwizzle.com.
- NOTE: Choose any fresh herb to substitute for the basil and/or chives.
Patriotic Berry Cups
- Individual puff pastry shells filled with Brie cheese and berries lightly tossed in a honey-balsamic glaze make an impression that belies the simplicity of their preparation.
- A mouthful of red, white, and blue has never tasted so good.
Bake Time: 8 min
Prep Time: 10 min
Yield: 15 bites
Prep Time: 10 min
Yield: 15 bites
- 15 phyllo cups
- 1 Brie cheese round (small)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven and bake phyllo cups according to package directions. Allow to cool before using.
- Cut cheese into cubes, removing outer rind.
- Warm honey and vinegar in a pan until approximately 100 degrees F.
- Remove mixture from heat and fold in the berries.
- Add cheese cubes to the cooled pastry cups, then place glazed berries on the top.
Photo and modified from bluegirlpresents.weebly.com
Star-Spangled Sausage Bites
- This cute patriotic spinoff of the classic appetizer is a definite crowd pleaser best served warm.
- Skewer the pillowy star puffs to savory sausage bites with thematic food picks and they’ll disappear faster than you can say “More please!” Guaranteed.
Cook Time: 5 min
Bake Time: 20 min
Prep Time: 20 min
Yield: 38 servings
- 1 lb. sausage links
- 1 puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the sausage links into 36 half- inch slices and brown the meat on both sides over medium high heat.
- Place sausage slices on cookie sheets, spaced 2-inches apart.
- Break egg into small dish and scramble.
- Lay out thawed pastry and brush the surface with egg wash.
- Cut out 36 stars with a miniature star cookie cutter.
- Place pastry stars on top of the sausage bites and secure with a toothpick.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until pastries are golden brown.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsps honey
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
Mix all ingredients into a serving bowl, stirring until color is even.
Photo and modified from dunkincookingthesemi-homemadeway.blogspot.com
Red, White, & Blue Trifle Sparkler
- For a truly spectacular finish, try out this lovely berry trifle with or without the cake sparklers (but we highly recommend!)
- No one will even notice the full serving of fruit all wrapped up in whipped cream and mascarpone perched atop dainty ladyfingers.
- We have included directs for a free-standing trifle, but it is equally as scrumptious in an attractive trifle bowl.
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Chill Time: 6 hours - overnight
Yield: 8 servings
- 5 cups strawberries, quartered
- 1/4 cup cornstarch + water
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 10 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 24 ladyfingers, broken into chunks
- In a medium pan, mash 2 cups of strawberries (fresh or thawed) with a potato masher until chunky.
- Add granulated sugar, lemon juice, salt, and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla extract and bring to a low simmer over medium heat.
- In a separate cup or bowl, add just enough cold water to the cornstarch to until it forms a cloudy liquid, stir all of the lumps out of it. Stirring constantly, add the cornstarch liquid to the simmering strawberry mixture.
- Allow mixture to cook for 3-5 minutes until thickened, then remove from heat and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- After the mixture has cooled, stir in the 3 cups of fresh strawberries and mix until well coated.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together mascarpone and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add whipping cream and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, then beat for about 4 minutes until soft peaks form.
- Line the inside of an 8-inch springform pan with parchment cut to rise 1 inch above the side.
- Spread half of the ladyfinger pieces along the bottom; then add half of the strawberry filling in another layer; top with half of the whipped mixture, tapping as you go to remove air bubbles. Repeat with remaining ingredients, and place fresh blueberries on top.
- Refrigerate assembled trifle for 3 hours, or up to 3 days if tightly covered with plastic.
- To serve, unmold the trifle and peel away parchment, topping with cake sparklers for dazzling effect.
Photo and modified from www.marthastewart.com
Share your cute 4th of July food ideas and recipes.