Candy Corn Jello Shots
Evoking the tradition of the classic Halloween candy with none of the waxy finish, these gelatinous sips of creamsicle goodness will elevate the social atmosphere.
Preparation Level: Moderate
- Measuring cups
- Paring knife
- Medium sauce pan
- Optional: Ladle
- Optional: Cupcake pan
- 10 oranges
- 1 box orange jello
- 4 oz. ounces coconut milk
- 1 envelope gelatin, unflavored
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups vodka
- Cut the oranges in half and hollow the fruit out of the rind (save the fruit for the sangria recipe to follow).
- Place the hollowed out orange halves in the wells of a cupcake pan or dish so they won’t tip over.
- Orange Layer
- Bring one cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan or heat in the microwave.
- Stir the orange Jello mix in the hot water until dissolved, then allow to cool.
- Add one cup of vodka while stirring slowly.
- Ladle or pour the Jello mixture into the orange halves, filling them half way.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- White Layer
- Combine 1/2 a cup of water and 4 oz. of coconut milk into a medium sauce pan and sprinkle in the gelatin packet.
- Let the mixture sit undisturbed for one minute.
- Add 1/2 cup of white sugar and dissolve over medium heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool for 20 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of vodka.
- Ladle the mixture over the firm orange jello layer
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- When both layers have set after several hours, use a very sharp knife and slice the halves into quarters.
- Cut each quarter in half to get a bite-size, triangular candy corn Jello shot.
Swizzle Trick: Scatter real candy corn on the serving tray to complete the presentation. Consider a small bowl in the center for discarding orange peels.
Sweet Transylvanian Sangria
This dramatically red, autumn-inspired punch will add to the levity among friends and sane persons. Serve in a clear decanter or infusion jar to add a delicious bar-top display.
Servings: 16 cups
Preparation Level: Easy
- 2 cups brandy
- 2 oranges, thinly sliced cross-ways
- 2 red apples, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 bottles well-chilled dry red wine
- 2 cups club soda
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- In a large pitcher, stir together brandy, orange and apple slices.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Add wine, club soda, and orange juice.
- Serve over ice in glasses (never put the ice in the pitcher).