Don’t be bored to death by an endless barrage of sugary Halloween confections--tantalize your taste buds with a mouthful of creamy fresh herbs with a touch of rye.
Servings: 24 canapes
Cook time: None Preparation Level:
Paring knife or coffin cookie cutter
- 16 thin slices of rye or pumpernickel bread
- 8 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
- 6 finely chopped scallions
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill
- Optional: Tapenade spread, jar of caviar, or smoked salmon
- 15-ounce jar roasted red peppers
- Mix the cream cheese, chopped scallions, and dill in a small bowl and set aside.
- Use a cookie cutter to create 3 coffin-shaped pieces from each slice of bread so that you end up with 48 pieces. If you do not have a cookie cutter: cut sandwich in coffin shapes, 2 slices at a time, to create matching sized pieces.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on 24 of the small coffin pieces.
- Top with tapenade, caviar, or smoked salmon as desired.
- Add the matching coffin pieces on top to create each canape.
- Arrange on a serving tray.
- Cut the roasted red peppers into 24 equal long pieces and 48 equal short pieces to make the cross on each coffin.
- Arrange one long piece of red pepper and 2 short pieces on the top of each sandwich to form the cross.
Add a tombstone
, bat, vampire or other graveyard items to your serving tray for a fun presentation.