Green-Eyed Monster Eyeballs
Our version of the green-eyed monster has all the magical properties that make up great Halloween party food, but is delightfully more palatable than the traditional ogre's ogle.
24 eyeballsCook Time:
15 minutesPreparation Level:
- Large saucepan
- Medium mixing bowl
- Paring knife
- Measuring spoons
- Blue food coloring
- Red food gel
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 minced scallions
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 24 black olive slices
- 24 pimentos or diced red peppers
- Place eggs in a large saucepan and cover with cool water until eggs are submerged 1” under the surface. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil for 8 minutes. Turn heat off and allow eggs to sit in the hot water for another 2-3 minutes. Pour out hot water and submerge cooked eggs in cold water to cool.
- After eggs have cooled, peel shells off and slice in half lengthwise.
- Pop out the yolks and add to a medium mixing bowl, and mash together with the back of a fork until crumbled.
- Add mayonnaise and seasonings, mixing well into a paste.
- Begin adding blue food coloring a drop at a time until the yolks turn green.
- Make even mounds of the yolk mixture in the cavity of the white halves with a spoon.
- Gently press a black olive slice into each yolk mound.
- Insert a pimento or red pepper for the pupil.
- Drizzle lines of red food gel along white area to create the veins.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours or until ready to serve.